Friday, May 8, 2009

Relay For Life...Cancer Does Not Discriminate.

This evening I walked the survivor lap for Relay For Life. It was my second cancer-free year and since my oncology doctor said that he would see me in four months, I was feeling particularly good about the day. I am not normally a weepy person, however, when I saw the number of individuals who were out there representing our small area of the globe and pondered the number of surgeries, chemotherapy experiences, and radiation sessions they represented...I was a bit teary-eyed. People stood on the sidelines clapping, cheering, and high-fiving us. It was touching. One teenage girl walked with several of her friends and I was jolted to see the word "survivor" on her T-Shirt, but it was unsettling to see the six-year-old boy who was being carried on his Daddy's shoulders the most. He too was a survivor. Cancer does not discriminate. As the evening wore on friends from my place of work gathered to share stories, eat pizza, and offer support. Researchers are diligently seeking cures and preventions for the myriad of cancer types that exist. With your help...progress is being made. I would just like to say...THANK YOU!

Note: Cancer does not have a political affiliation.

May God bless America...and may America deserve it.

Zanne Booker 5-08-09