Saturday, November 22, 2008

Reality Politics...There's Nothing Like It

Today everyone wants to be in the inner circle of knowledge about stars (famous and has-been), the rich and famous, world figures, and politicians. People simply can not get enough of them so they buy magazines, copy their fashion looks, try to act aloof (when they would dearly love to meet them), and yes, even swoon over them (Barbara Walters). Reality television has scored big...although I wish Tori Spelling would disappear from my screen; one commercial of her is all I can take...I digress. Of the aforementioned grouping, I follow the political crowd. Not because I want to live in their world, but rather because they have entered mine. I would prefer to live my life doing my job, loving my family, worshiping at my church, and enjoying my rights as an American citizen. But, things don't always work out as planned. Hints of human rights in jeopardy keep me on the edge of my ever-blogging seat. Media distortions cause me to go outside of the United States realm for news coverage, to get the real scoop on matters that really matter. One word whispered across a table can be deafening when picked up by the press. So I read, I listen, I pray, and I blog. No longer can we let "celebrity gazing", video games, cell phones, movies, sporting events, or whatever else occupies our time be the essence of our existence. They are distractions from occurrences in the world around us. If we don't budget time for serious reading and reflection, there is a problem. If we select a path of blissful ignorance, we are bound to be clueless. Please remember, your free time choices may be sabotaging your freedoms.

Note: When we were children we were easily distracted from serious matters. Just how much has changed in adulthood?

May God bless America...and may America deserve it!

Zanne Booker 11-22-08